Aventura’s state-of-the-art Charter School opened in August 2003 and houses 1020 students in grades K-8. It is operated by the city in conjunction with Charter Schools USA and headed by Julie Alm, principal.
The Charter School is located on NE 188th Street and is adjacent to the City of Aventura's Community Recreation Center. This close proximity allows the sharing of facilities between the Charter School and Community Recreation Center. Aventura residents have preference in registering their child for the school. Strict proof of residency is required at the time of formal registration.
Enriched Learning & Social Atmosphere
- Safe school campus: Serving as the school resource officer, the City of Aventura provides a full-time certified police officer to the school; Traditional security methods including security cameras, video surveillance and a secure reception area are also in place.
- Small class sizes & low student-teacher ratio: Kindergarten classes are limited to 18 students; All other grades are limited to 22 students per classroom teacher.
- Technology integration in every classroom: At least 4 state-of-the-art computers are available in every classroom as well as internet access and educational software. Additionally, in-house computer labs, as well as mobile iPad and laptop carts provide additional resources for students.
- Specialty classes: Includes music, art in an oversized art room, physical education, media, computers, foreign language and science.
- In-house television broadcasting system in every classroom.
- Student portfolios: Best practices include an on-line "Standards Adoption Measurement" that provides immediate short term objectives for identified student strengths and area of growth in reading and mathematics.
- Exceptional Student Education (ESE), English Language Learners (ELL), Gifted Students Programs: A fulltime ELL and ESE teacher oversees proposed endorsed teachers at every grade level.
- Progressive curriculum: Standards based curriculum that adds depth and breath to subject matter above state and national standards.
- Experienced and enthusiastic faculty and staff
- After School Care: Available from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm, after school care is every school day on a fee basis to all children attending ACES.
- Transportation: Students residing within 2 miles of the school site are not eligible for transportation. Those students living over 2 miles but less than 3.5 miles are eligible for transportation. Students living over 3.5 miles must furnish their own transportation.
- Gym facilities: A full size gym located adjacent to the school at the City of Aventura Community Recreation Center is available for physical education classes and special events.
- Parental involvement opportunities: Parents must sign an agreement contract to volunteer a minimum of 20 hours per year.
ACES Guiding Principles
- ACES philosophical beliefs are part and parcel to our academic program
- The following guiding principles fuel our schools vision and mission daily:
- ACES cultivates an atmosphere of respect
- ACES believes success breeds success and works to create conditions that set students and staff "up for success"
- High expectations are held for ALL learners
- All work has dignity and value
All people have dignity and value